Gratitude Diary

A gratitude diary can change your whole life, and it only takes a couple of minutes each day. I show you how to do it, what to expect, and what scientific research is being done.

Saturday, November 11, 2006

Unconditional Success

This is a very appropriate excerpt from an excellent book, “Unconditional Success” by Nick Williams.

As the maxim goes, we don’t know what we’ve got till it’s gone. We are often grateful in retrospect, sometimes only when we’ve lost something. We can learn to be more grateful in the present moment, and even ahead of time. We can give thanks for what we have now, and what we will have.


We can easily put off gratitude, thinking : “When I have more or when I am more successful, I’ll be more grateful”. It’s always a when thing, not a now thing. Obviously I don’t know you, but I imagine you have a reasonable life – food to eat, a roof over your head, friends,family, employment, clothes. But you may not see it that way. Sometimes we need some contrast, a different perspective, to show us how fortunate we are. When I went to India in 1995, I came back with a profound sense of gratitude, realizing how blessed I was in comparison to the majority of the world’s population.

Gratitude can be used as a guilt trip – you should be grateful for food with half the world starving; you shouldn’t want more when so many have so little. This is not the kind of gratitude I’m talking about. I mean the willingness and ability to feel truly blessed, to accept with an open heart the goodness of what you have.

Gratitude is a positive state. It’s hard to be grateful and depressed at the same time, or grateful and unhappy, or grateful and cynical. Gratitude transforms so much negativity in our lives.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home